Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 71

second sunday in may is never a big deal for me. besides my strong dislike for hallmark celebrations, mothers day obviously doesn't hold strong appeal for me.
this year i seemed to be unable to escape it as friends, flatmates and boyfriends around me happy mothers day'ed their mums!
albeit that i was surrounded by people talking about mothers day, there still seemed to be a sense of 'do i really need to do anything for my mum'? some people did, others saw their ma's, but let their mum's slave in the kitchen over a hot stove still.
i wonder whether i would have this hatred of 'holidays' if my mum was still alive. she was into all the holiday's in such a huge way. easter would involve family friends coming over to our house for easter egg hunts and we would consume mazipan carrots that decorated the divine carrot cake my mama made. halloween would mean party's at friends and amazing costumes created for such events, pumpikins, trash sacks, bats are a few that come to mind. christmas ran for most of the second half of the year as mum created wondrous decorations to sell in our friend's shop, christmas corner. then as christmas drew nearer the house would be covered in decorations, baking would be done and the actual day, wow what an event.
maybe i oded as a child, or just all these events hold too strong a tie to my mother and what my life was before she died.
either way, i don't have a mum now, so mother's day is really a non-event for me....but i do wonder, for a spilt second (and only that!!!!).....will that always be the case ;)

0 comments:

About This Blog

365 days has been around for ever (it's probably older than me even). i have resisted the temptation to do one, until now.
i am the photographic artist in residence at christchurch polytechnic, new zealand, this year. a friend decided she was going to do a 365 days, and conned me into doing it too. I figured it would be a great project for the year, and a great way to remember the year. to make it a little more challenging, i decided to take self-portrait each day.
so here goes

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP